*This page is still under construction. Please check back later.
On this page:
Callie's current progress
Major Milestones for Callie (including links to video of her walking)
Life Lessons from Callie
Birth Story and NICU
|As you can see, Callie has a wonerful attitude when|
it comes to her therapy!
Callie can now walk up to 13 1/2 feet at a time! Gone are the days that we count steps, now we are looking at distance. Her goal right now is to make it to 15 feet. Almost there!
Unfortunately, Callie has had some set backs in the last 2 months. She had been doing amazingly well, progressing at an impressive pace...but then she got sick. She was mostly down for about 6 weeks. During that time, she has lost a great deal of strength, stamina, and her tone is now very high (her tone goes up when she gets stressed, has a growth spurt, the weather changes suddenly, or she doesn't get her stretches/exercises in). We are working to rebuild her lost strength, but it is going to take time. Prayers would be appreciated. Everything is physically hurting her right now because her tone is so high. We are working with her, in attempt to limber her back up so we can get back to a full therapy schedule. Even in light of these set backs, we choose to say, God is good, all the time!
Things got busy at this point...we got things together to head back to the hospital. We called his parents, to let them know what was going on and that they should probably come. We had them coordinate with Chris' cousin on taking our 4 olders so they could come to the hospital with us.
My earliest preemie before her, was Brianna, at 32 week 5 days...then the twins at 34 weeks 5 days. I thought back to how much weaker Brianna was than the twins, and to know that Callie would be that much earlier again was really hard! This was not a good trend. I wondered if we had done the right thing in having a reversal. I wondered what this would really mean for my sweet Miss Callie Grace...I asked the doctors what we could expect from 30 week preemies...and they really didn't have an answer because of how different each preemie is.
We got to the hospital, and got set up with monitors. There were no contractions. We waited for many hours. Still nothing. They decided to give me antibiotics and see how long we could make it. They did ultrasound. She was in a frank breech position and would need to be a c-section, and determined that while the fluid level was VERY LOW, with monitoring, we could continue the pregnancy. They said every day is that much better for Callie. They said if there were ANY sign of infection, which might include a fever, Callie not tolerating having such low fluid, increase in white blood cells, or my body starting labor on its own.
The next morning, I had another ultra sound to check on Callie's biophysical profile. There were ZERO pockets of fluid. I could see her little face smashed up against the wall of my uterus. The doctors decided with 6 out of 8 in her biophysical profile that we could continue the pregnancy. I asked them about the ZERO fluid count. They said with constant monitoring, she would be fine. I told them that with another pregnancy, they were concerned about low fluid, and talked about the danger of baby getting into a position of pinching the cord and not getting enough oxygen...they said at this point the very slight risk of that was better than a 30 week preemie. They also ordered because of the degree of 'long term bedrest' that it was necessary to put me on blood thinners, but said before the birth, which would have to be a c-section, I would have to discontinue it for at least 24 hours. Later that afternoon, I was taken OFF constant monitoring...
She had the same biophysical each day that week. We made it 6 days. On the 6th day, I woke up to some contractions. I knew this would be it based on how I was feeling. I didn't tell the nurse right away. She came in a couple hours later, and I let her know then. She called the doctor, who said to give me a dose of turbutaline to stop the contractions. I asked why they were trying to stop contractions when my body is obviously trying to start labor on its own. They said it is still worth trying to make it that much longer in the pregnancy, but did order the blood thinner to be withheld. I received that first dose at about 9 o'clock am.
It worked for about 45 minutes. Then contractions started again. By this time, I had a low grade fever. The doctor, who was told about the contractions and the fever, ordered another dose of terb, saying if my body is really serious about this, nothing they could do would stop it. Again, I questioned why, when it is looking like there is some sort of infection. He said that there is still nothing definite about it. The doctor also ordered the blood thinner at this time. By the time the nurse talked with the doctor, came in to tell me the new orders, I asked to speak with the doctor, and he was able to get back to me, it was now about 10:30 am.
This time, the terb did not work. Callie's heart rate immediately went tachy, well over 200, never even dipping into the 190's. I kept asking if she was ok, and isn't her heart rate way too high? The nurse just said, it is a little high, but that they were monitoring her.
I felt completely helpless. I didn't know what else to do. I was bringing up all that I could...and nothing seemed to be helping. My fever was now creeping up, too. I was at 102 w/meds on board. My blood work came back at this time as well, with elevated white blood cell counts (signifying an infection).
The nurse called the doctor once again, with all of the new reports...fever that meds won't bring down, tachy baby, elevated white blood cells, turb not helping, and continuing to contract.
This is when things really start to get hazy for me. The contractions were getting more intense, the nurse wanted me flat on my back so give the most blood flow to Callie (who was in distress, but no one wanted to comment on it!), I literally felt as though I couldn't breath with each contraction. I felt myself getting weaker and weaker. By 1 pm, I was unable to sit myself up, and my fever was in the 103-104 range. The doctor still said he wasn't sure if we were going to have a baby that day. By now, I was too weak to fight or argue or bring up any of the things going on. Callie was still tachy, now only dipping down into the 220's, otherwise staying over 240! I was getting more and more sick by the hour.
At 5:00 PM, we were told that Callie would be born that day, but that it would be risky because of the blood thinners on board. I was brought in for an emergency c-section.
Callie was not breathing when she was born. They had to clear out lots of thick mucous from her lungs (from having a zero fluid count for 6 days!). They whisked her off to the NICU before I knew another about her. Dh went with her.
I was finished up, and brought into recovery. I kept asking about Callie, and no one knew anything. No one could even tell me if she had made it! They kept checking the computer for me, but because the NICU staff had not updated it, there was nothing they could tell me - and they wouldn't call down for a report.
The first nurse I had said, "With all that laboring you did, you got yourself to a 9! If you would have just stood up, that little peanut of yours would have just slid right out!" I was not amused or impressed!