Monday, June 20, 2016

My Views on Father's Day

Growing up, Father's Day always involved my grandpa, because my bio dad left my mom and me when I was 6-8 months old. I saw him 3 times in my life after that...at 6, 12 and 24 years old, I figured our next rendezvous would have been when I  48, but since he is deceased, it is unlikely to happen.

He was always a stranger to me. I have never really known him. And yet, he was still apart of me. In all earthly purposes, he did not live up to his responsibility as a father. Yet I still made an effort, as often as I knew where he was (had an address), I sent him father's day cards and Christmas presents.

Why? Because the office of father is worthy of respect. The title given to him because he chose life for me, is worthy of honor. It is not because of what he has done, but because God says it is worthy and important to honor your father and mother - it says nothing of the specific parents being worthy of that respect or honor. And with abortion on demand being so easy in this country, it would have been very easy for for parents to choose. In fact, my older sibling was aborted just a year earlier.

Now as a side note, let me tell you that I wouldn't TRUST my bio dad to be there, to provide anything, to babysit my children, or to do anything else. Trust is an entirely different issue. Drug addicted, alcoholic parents looking out for their own interests instead of the interests of their children, who abandon said children, have no stability and/or are in and out of jail for a variety of infractions, are often not trustworthy. And it would likely be dangerous to trust them!

I did however make the effort to honor him, because that is what God commands.

My grandpa was never very involved in my life. But again, we would honor him on Father's Day because that is what God calls us to do. He did take my sister's nd me in after my mom left us and helped my mom financially for necessities for us. He was a good provider, but when it came time to connect, or teach us anything, the TV was more important. Yet we honor him because God says it is right and good in the sight of God.

No one is perfect. If you wait until someone is deserving of respect or honor, it may never come, and those were not prerequisites for God's command to honor.

Though I am grateful for having men in my life now who are men of integrity, who seek after God, make reading the scriptures and prayer a priority, who strive to be more like Christ and to lead their families, both in my husband and father in law!


No comments:

Post a Comment