Saturday, June 11, 2016

Building the berry patch

I received am email asking how we made the berry patch tunnels. Here is the long answer.  ๐Ÿ˜‰

Before 


Breaking ground


We first dug holes that were 14" deep by 4' wide (outside - 2' wide middle) and all of the 8' long.


We used 50"x16' long cow panels to make the tunnels. We used U nails to attach the ends onto a 8' long 2x6. This gave the tunnels enough structure to stand!


Still digging.


Dad is putting together the 2nd tunnel while everyone else takes turns digging and installing the boarder. We used corrugated plastic roofing to line the i side of the berry patch beds. Berries are notorious for putting out runners and getting out of control, and we do not want them throughout the yard and blueberries. So we lined the holes.


We used t posts to hold the edged of the archways where we wanted them to stay.


We brought over lots of compost to fill the garden areas.



We planted and dug out the grass inside the tunnels so we could add bark paths.




The littles have already had a tea party in the tunnels!  ๐Ÿ˜Š


Then we added bark to the garden areas as we really need low maintenance everywhere we can get it!


No comments:

Post a Comment