Thursday, June 9, 2016

Around the homestead

Last week was a big workweek around here with all hands on deck! Here is the agenda:


While we did not finish everything, we think we did very well!


We built a berry patch in front of our blueberry bushes.
Before:

After:

Berries have been a huge blessing this year! 


We have arrested about 5 big bowls of strawberries from our strawberry patch!


Blueberries are almost ready!


Raspberries are new for us this year, but we will get to try a couple it looks like.


We took out a fence between the chicken/turkey yards and the garden.


It really feels like it opened up the whole yard! This area is so rough in its terrain that it is hard to mow. We struggle and fight with blackberry vines and morning glories all the time. So we are taking all that out and planting wildflowers here!




More pictures of this are to come as we get more done. We have actually turned up the dirt, removed a lot of clumps, etc. So it is a bit further than this. Our wildflower seeds come in the next few days!

Bees!

We added our hive last year, and it has done great! Now we have THREE hives set up from our hive dividing!

I do not have pics of the third hive as it was put up last night!

Bee area (behind the barn) is also always a disaster when it comes to blackberries and mowing. We will also plant this whole area in wildflowers for low maintenance!


The whole area often looks like this!


Our original hive swarmed this year - meaning the queen said, we are doing great, I am going to take half the bees and find a new home. You make a new queen.

We caught the swarm, and they are sticking around, giving us TWO hives. 😃

But this swarm colony is working hard to replace their queen.

Queen cup with larva. 


Larva, capped brood and nectar on a frame.



Capped queen cell. She will likely be the new leader of this hive!


Capped brood and larva.


Workers getting the comb ready for brood and nectar.


Full frame of bees.


Not know just what the swarm hive is doing...we are 19 days out from the swarm, we bought a queen and took a split from the parent hive, which is doing awesome - though they do not yet have a laying queen, we expect the virgin queen they raised up to be laying in about a week though.)

So far, the nectar flow has been great this year! We hope for a great honey harvest. I will also say that honey is one of my favorite harvests on our homestead!

For mother's day, I got 4 new fruit trees, and we will be getting a bigger orchard going behind the bees going towards the back of the property.


Littles playing in the berry tunnels. 😃


Overview of the yard,before the fence was taken out:


And after


Here are the current hive set ups .


Gardens are doing great so far this year!

Squash and potatoes 

Garlic, leeks, brussel sprouts, rutabaga, beets pumpkins, bush beans, rainbow chard and spinach.


Sugar snap peas, artichokes and tomatoes.


Asian peas, tomatoes, artichokes, 


Zucchini and yellow squash, bush cucumbers, and more tomatoes.


Red currents, bee balm.


Fruit trees look amazing, largely thanks to the bees!




Strawberry patch has truly outdone itself this year - gotta harvest more today!


Burrito in front and beef in the back.


These are hard to see...sorry! Wrong time of day to get these front gardens. Broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, oregano, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, basil, cucumbers, garlic, radishes and kale.





I think that is it for around the property. Hope you enjoyed the tour! 

😀



2 comments:

  1. Everything looks amazing. I can't wit to get all my little things in place so ours looks as good and produces to! So far I have 3 chickens and 2 ducks, in a pen I made myself and a coop my mom sent us, two rose bushes, already blooming a little, and an very tiny blueberry bush that seems to be thriving. A wild blackberry bush I would love to relocate, and a whole bunch of plans.... Slowly my land will begin to produce for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks amazing. I can't wit to get all my little things in place so ours looks as good and produces to! So far I have 3 chickens and 2 ducks, in a pen I made myself and a coop my mom sent us, two rose bushes, already blooming a little, and an very tiny blueberry bush that seems to be thriving. A wild blackberry bush I would love to relocate, and a whole bunch of plans.... Slowly my land will begin to produce for my family.

    ReplyDelete