Sunday, January 19, 2014

December was not without its trials and sadness

Just 6 days after the twins birthday, we got a call that my Grandpa Keith was not doing well, from my sister.

I was told that he wasn't going to make it.  We happened to be in the bus, right after piano lessons, getting ready to leave, in the same city where he was.  We decided to go say our good-byes.


It was such a beautiful, sad time for everyone.  (Brianna asked for 'one more picture with Grandpa Keith' probably because I put pics of the children with their great grandparents in their scrapbooks...)  He loved to hear the children sing whatever hymn they were working on, so we sang him one last song.  We choose Amazing Grace.  We prayed for him.  We gave him one last hug, and said our final good-byes.  

At the time, I did not realize just HOW important that time in the hospital would be for me...but now, 5 weeks later, I am so thankful that God gave us that time.  As it turned out, it WAS our chance for closure.  My sisters never told us when his service was.  I am not sure if it was an intentional or unintentional oversight, but it really doesn't matter.  While it was very important to me to attend, what matters now is that God is still God, and God is still good!  God knew this would happen, and He knew that I needed those moments alone with Grandpa in his hospital room (the rest of the family was not there when we arrived, then my sisters arrived, followed by everyone else.  We had about an hour with him total.)  God not only knew this would happened, but put the idea in me that I would be forgotten when it came time for the service 2 or 3 weeks ago, (I even mentioned it to Chris!) so it wasn't even overly surprising (though still hurtful for the first day, until I truly gave it over to God!)...and then God has given me a peace about having missed it...and closure looking back on that hour I spent with Grandpa Keith as his spirit got ready to meet his Savior.  And closure in knowing that because I know The Savior, I will see him one day in Heaven as well!  What a blessed assurance it is to know that Jesus is mine - it truly is AMAZING GRACE!

God is good, all the time!

Then, after spending an hour at the hospital, we needed a distraction - and a place to do gait training...the mall provided both!  We so rarely go to the mall, that it really is a 'treat' of sorts.  I thought seeing the pretty decorations and such would be fun - but there really wasn't a whole lot to see!  I was surprised!

They did however have in indoor play area, and the long spaces for Callie to use her walker for gait training.  So we were still able to make the best of it!











There are no mountain tops without the valleys.  And without the valleys, the times of sorrow, sadness, trials, tribulations, struggles and hardships, the mountain tops would mean anything.  It is during these hard, low times, that God proves Himself faithful!


No comments:

Post a Comment