Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sitting *not* a milestone?

Callie's neurodevelopment therapist, Miss Cyndi Ringoen, told me this interesting little tidbit at our last meeting.  I asked a couple questions about it, and decided that I would give it a try...not 'teach' or even attempt to 'teach' Judah to sit up by putting pillows around him and giving him lots of opportunity to practice.  Miss Cyndi explained that babies gain ab muscles more quickly by playing on their tummies and moving around.  She told me that they do not need to practice the balance of sitting when they have enough ab strength, so they can actually skip the stage of falling over a lot...

The results?  Judah is 6 1/2 months old, and is much more stable at sitting (much to my surprise about 2 weeks ago!) than any of my others at this age - and I had not given him any practice time!

No comments:

Post a Comment