Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Adventures in farming

I can not tell you right off, anything I would rather NOT do 1 week post partum in the middle of the night, than chase a young bull around the yard...while my husband is at work, shortly after feeding the new born.

It started with me hearing heavy footsteps and a noise I couldn't readily identify (the sound of tearing grass)...

And yet, I not only did it, but I went back in for my camera to take pictures of it...though I didn't start taking pics until I had already been chasing him around for about 1/2 hour...


At which point, I decided I wasn't getting anywhere, and called Dad...who very graciously came out to help me get this calf back into the field, and out of the yard.

I made a mental note to speak with my children about this gate...


I got inside, where my baby was just starting to stir again, fed him and went back to bed.

Only to find 1 1/2 hours later, that the young bull had come through a rotten board in the fence...and the other young bull had found the same spot - at which time, Mom called to let me know that I had a cow in the front yard...

Needless to say, I was NOT ready to get up yet, but didn't have much choice!  By the time I was done making sure everyone was in their field (again, very grateful for Dad, who was out there helping me!), I had several little ones up, and it was time to start the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment