Sunday, April 24, 2011

Spiritual truths

In some of these pictures, you have to look pretty closely...but there is a little bird. He was repeatedly trying to fly through the window. In the course of an hour, while I was getting a list of what to bring to Shelton ready to go, he flew into the window more than 30 times. I chased him off a couple of times, but he kept coming back.

As I was thinking and watching this little bird, of Romans 7:14-25.
14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21 So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.


This little bird kept doing what was not good for it (running repeatedly into the window), and yet, even when I tried to redirect it to a better path (pretty much anywhere else!), it kept coming back. The window in this analogy represents sin. More times than I can count, I do things against God's word. I keep going back to things that are harmful to myself and my family...yet even when redirected, I will often choose sin over what I know to be right.

I want to obey God's word, to eat healthy foods, work out, get Callie's therapy done, school done with the older ones and keep the house clean...Why can't I do the things I want to do? Why is it so hard to do the right things? Why do I keep doing what I do not want to do?


I am sure the little bird did not want to repeatedly hit the window...but something about it was enticing, just like sin is for me.

4 comments:

  1. What a great analogy, Michelle. I think we need to daily remind ourselves of what God wants us to do. Just like He calls us to daily die to self and daily pick up our cross and follow Him. How often do we do this on a daily basis? I know I don't do this everyday like I should and find myself giving into my flesh rather than following the Spirit. We also need to have accountability. We need to have someone to go to who will ask us the hard questions and we won't be offended by it. Keep up the good fight, there is light at the end of the tunnel. We know how the story ends:)
    Love,
    Lanita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good post!!

    It's that free will thing that He gave us. His great gift and his great burden to us. I pray regularly that He takes it away from me, I do not want it, I want Him to lead me, I don't want to be out of His favor by sinning, I want to be what He wants me to be, but my own ego, my own free will, my own pride, my own selfishness, amongst other things, keeps me from being there.... and I hate it and I hate myself for it sometimes. I know I'm forgiven, I know I'm saved, I just wish I was better so I didn't NEED those things.... if that makes sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.danoah.com/2011/11/im-christian-unless-youre-gay.html/3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous,
    I am not sure why you posted a link to this blog post. I actually read this when Dan wrote it, and it is right about the time I stopped reading his blog. He claims to be a christian, but yet doesn't believe what it is that God has told us.

    God has given us His Truth. It is important for US, as sinful humans, in our own prideful arrogance to not think we are above and beyond God's Wisdom and Truth.

    ReplyDelete