Tuesday, October 5, 2010

What makes a house a home?










Titus 2:3-5 charges us to be homemakers, or keepers at home.

What does it take to make a house, a home? Is it merely a place to sleep at night and keep your clothes so you can get ready for the day? Does it require a spotless house at all times?

I do not think it is any of those things. I think it is more...in thinking about this today, I actually looked up the definition of both of those words. They are as follows.

Homemaker means
1. a person who manages the household of his or her own family, esp. as a principal occupation.
2. a person employed to manage a household and do household chores for others, as for the sick or elderly.

Keeper means
1. a person who guards or watches, as at a prison or gate.
2. a person who assumes responsibility for another's behavior: He refused to be his brother's keeper.
3. a person who owns or operates a business (usually used in combination): a hotelkeeper.
4. a person who is responsible for the maintenance of something (often used in combination): a zookeeper; a groundskeeper.
5. a person charged with responsibility for the preservation and conservation of something valuable, as a curator or game warden.

So, God has charged me to be the manager of my household. To make sure things are running orderly, make sure every one's needs are met, and to guard or watch over our home. I have assumed responsibility for my children's behavior - which means I had better be paying attention! I need to make sure that I am on top of things before they get out of hand...how could I possibly do that if I were not with them all day long?! I certainly know that I wouldn't be able to.

Today is my birthday. I have watched as my children (+ 2 extras we have for the week), have hurried around, decorating, making special cards for me, and trying to go above and beyond this morning to help me and make my day special (starting with cleaning the house yesterday!). Brianna and Ashley decorating my chair at the dinner table special. The twins made the kitchen pretty, knowing how much time I spend in there. Ashley and Brianna decorated the coffee table, they all put up streamers downstairs. Anna put streamers up at my bedroom door, so when I first opened the door, I would see them. Bailey made a mobile to put over Serenity's bed. They all worked hard to make signs and cards and letters for me...What a blessing it is to have children who understand that to make this our home, we put in that effort for the people who are here to feel special and well cared for! It is also nice to see that the traditions we have used with them for the last many years are important enough for them to do for others!

I praise God that I am blessed to get to stay home, and enjoy my family, to dry my children's tears, celebrate their accomplishments and learn side by side with them each and every day. I thank Him for the blessings He has given me in my children. I am in awe that He would entrust their little lives and souls to my care, under the leadership of my husband here on Earth. I am so grateful for my amazing husband, who has stuck by me through thick and thin and continues to love me, even when I am unlovable (this has been a rough pregnancy!). I pray that He would continue to help me understand more fully what it means to love my husband and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be a keeper at home, to be kind, and to be subject to my own husband, so that no one will malign the word of God, as it says in Titus 2:3-5. I have such a long way to go in these areas...by God's grace, mercy and guiding, I have already learned so many of these things, and yet I still have so far to go!

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, you amazing woman. You are such a blessing to your family and ALL who know you. I am so glad to have you as a friend. You are a blessing to me and my family. Have an awesome day (and thank you from the bottom of my heart!)

    Love,
    Lanita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Lanita summed it up well :)

    Michelle, you reap what you sow, and right now, you are having a BUMPER HARVEST :)

    Happy happy to Callie and Gramma, too :)

    YOU are a blessing and a miracle, never forget that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great little article, Michelle. You've got me teary eyed here at the library! Happy Birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete