Saturday, October 16, 2010

Pumpkin patch!










I enjoy going to the pumpkin patch with my girls...though we do not always make it each year. This year, I really, really wanted to go because of Callie. She has really taken to a book called Biscuit Goes to the Pumpkin Patch (which I like because it has nothing to do with Halloween in it!). My MIL is now working 4 days/week, and was able to come with us, so we went for it!

We went to Biringer Farm. The girls had so much fun! They loved playing on the playground, and seeing all the different things set up. The older ones enjoyed going through the corn maze to solve, the mystery of Farmer Joe (it was a combo of clue and CSI, they had to find different check points throughout the corn maze to eliminate different places, weapons and locations from their game cards!). Then we took the tractor ride out to the pumpkin patch to find that perfect pumpkin.

I really like that Biringer Farm doesn't have any Halloween decor, or even that dark overshadow. The girls liked being able to see the sights, and I liked that I didn't have to worry so much about the spiritual warfare that comes with the end of October...

2 comments:

  1. OMGOSH!! That Cool Bus pic is a KEEPER!!! That is just SOOOOOO cute, I love it! What a fun, fun place! I wish we had something like that here!

    SO, what will you do with the pumpkins? Do you carve them at all, or just stew them for pies or?

    I take it from your post here that you guys don't do Halloween. We do, but we don't put ANY spiritual significance on it at all and just do the fun part, dress-up, jack-o-lanterns and that's about it. It's actually my favorite 'secular' holiday of the year, I'm a huge kid with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I love Halloween and I'm excited to do it with our LO (even though, since we're vegan, we'll have to do a lot of candy sorting and sharing with friends, ;-).

    But at the school I used to work at there were a lot of kids who didn't "do" Halloween for religious reasons.

    In China, they have a similar holiday (Ching Ming, in April), but it is more like a "Memorial" day, where you remember those who have passed over, visit their graves, honor them, etc. I think it is a nicer sort of tradition than American Halloween so we might try to incorporate some of that into our Halloween celebration.

    ReplyDelete