Sunday, October 17, 2010

The pumpkin gospel










Matthew 23:25-28
25"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

27"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean. 28In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

Revelation 3:20
20Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

2 Corinthians 5:17
17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

We started out talking about the sin in our lives...that ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. We compared sin to the pumpkin guts.

Then we talked about how God wants His light to shine through us. We put happy faces on the pumpkins (to represent the joy we have in Christ) and watched as the light of the candle was shinning out of them. Finally we talked about how the pumpkins were now new creations. The old is gone and the new is here.

The twins got to carve their own this year...the 3 little girls designed their own and watched as we carved the design into their pumpkins. Justice got to have the design that I have wanted to use from last year, because no one else would go for it, lol!

I threw in a couple extra pictures because I thought they were cute! First is Callie showing me what a fish looks like. The other is Brianna and Justice dancing together.

To answer questions that were posed...no we do not celebrate Halloween...and we may be doing pumpkins after this, even though we do it as a God honoring lesson.

7 comments:

  1. I think the pumpkin lesson was OUTSTANDING! What a great way to illustrate for young minds that sometimes need things shown to them in a different way than we adults can grasp!!

    I think it is a worthy lesson to repeat yearly, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, meant to add, I love the facial expressions of concentration, the tongue sticking out, hehehe, and that Justice even got to help clean out his pumpkin (blech)

    Are you going to save the seeds to grow next year? They will grow, we've done it before, or are you going to roast them, they are yummy, you eat them like sunflower seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was and always will be a preschool teacher...which means I look at sticking a baby or toddler's hand into pumpkin guts as a sensory project!

    I also love Anna's very concentrated face with the tongue sticking out! It is priceless!

    We normally roast and eat them, but I didn't get to them last night, I was too tired! :( Today they looked like it might make us sick, they were sprouting already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Fertility is high around your place ;)

    How did Justice react? A pumpkin here will cost is 10 to 12 bucks, so we'll only get one if we can get one at all, this year, and I'm interested in seeing Kevin's reaction! I know Caitlyn won't want anything to do with it, my little Miss Priss :)

    Micke and I have discussed this lesson of yours and we are definitely wanting to do it with our kids, we think it's a really good, and important, lesson. Hope you don't mind us 'borrowing' it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problem with borrowing the lesson at all! Enjoy!

    Pumpkins here are not nearly that expensive, especially if you go to a pumpkin patch. Each pumpkin is $3, regardless of size. Though Justice's pumpkin came from our garden as he didn't notice us not purchasing his like the girls would have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and the lesson comes from the Family Night Tool Chest Holiday book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You get a lot from that book! I love the design on Justice's, by the way, it's a good one! We got a good harvest of pumpkins here only once, about 6 or 7 years ago. The summer is just too short here to do a good harvest of them!

    ReplyDelete