Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sacrifice of Praise






I remember reading Hebrews 13:15 (Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that confess his name) as a new Christian and not understanding how it could be a sacrifice to offer praise to God. After all, God is good all the time. So how could it be possible to have to sacrifice to praise Him?

As is true with many things, maturity and time have given me some insight to this! I have been reminded of this and the importance of the truth to offering up this sacrifice of praise while dealing with horrible allergies on and off for almost 3 months now. I have been miserable. Honestly, between the pregnancy (which has been my most emotional pregnancy yet!) and allergies, most days, I don't feel like getting out of bed, let alone getting meals made, people dressed and moving, school done, errands run, laundry washed, etc!

But if I first start my day offering a sacrifice of praise to my God, even when I don't FEEL like it, or even WANT to do it, even when I would rather be sleeping or ignoring responsibility given to me by Him, even when it means giving of time and energy that I don't feel like I have to give...He gives back 10 fold! When I will take the time to put Him in His proper place in my life, Lord of all, and take the time to lift my hands in praise, read (and obey!) His word, and trust in His promises, things fall into place. All of a sudden, I have enough energy to get what needs to be done accomplished. I am able to get through at least the bare minimums and usually more than that. I give Him the blah, ickiness of how I am feeling, and He restores my soul. His grace is sufficient for me. He sustains me. He gives me the strength to keep going!

That doesn't mean things are perfect, and there are times that I will choose to wallow in my own misery, and allow myself to be deceived by my feelings, which leads to depression (at least for me!)...but each time I choose God's way, His promises never return void! His is faithful each and every time! Today has been one such day that I struggled to do what I knew I needed to do...offer up my sacrifice of praise...but now that I have, I feel renewed, as if I have been lifted up on wings like eagles! I am a new creation in Christ!

God is good all the time! Today we have Petra, The Rock Cries Out playing to lead us in our worship time. I will let it continue to play for the rest of the morning as I need to continually be reminded of the importance of giving this to God and leaving it with Him...today's pictures are of the girls, offering up their praise and worship to the amazing God we serve!

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, thank you for sharing your struggles and your praises. Your sacrifice of praise blesses my heart!

    ReplyDelete